Got the gardening bug?

Monday, May 23, 2011

The greenhouse garden project

Looking at other gardens in magazines and such, I really like the looks of brick walkways through the plants, so one day I posted an ad on Craigslist, looking for free bricks.  Someone responded, and we got a few loads from him.  My greenhouse really needed some work around it, since last year, all I did was plant a few things around the side of it, some of it getting too large for the space, and I didn't really like it..... shown below....
So we went to work removing sod.  My bird feeding area was right across from the GH, was hard to mow, and and needing some more pizazz itself....so the sod was removed all around it and I got playing with the bricks, coming up with a little walkway that I'm happy with.....AND, it gave me more gardening space!  ;) 
So far, I'm much happier with the space.  It gave me a great spot to place the bench, which has more planting space behind it.  I still have lots of work ahead of me, to get it all filled in with plants and finish the mulching, but so far, I'm rather pleased with it.  This is the first time I've ever put down bricks.  I think I may plan on continuing the path up to the sidwalk that runs along the main garden, that is, if I can find more bricks again. 
.......  So we definately have a lot of plans still ahead of us .....  garden expansions have been started in 4 places....  1 other is shown below......
This garden spot lays opposite of the main garden, across the end of the sidewalk.  It is mainly supposed to be herbs and roses ...... but ..... well, ......  I can't resist other goodies as well.  .... so it has been enlarged for more. 
The garden expansions will keep me busy .....  Greg will also be busy taking down the odd side of our barn/shed ....  it was a barn when we had the horses, but the short side was pretty beaten on by them during the winters when they were cooped in too much ..... so we're taking it down and closing up the open end that will be left.... Evan will benefit with a new sandbox made from some of the wood. 
The kitchen is getting the counter tops tiled....a job that is taking me much longer than it should ......  but I suppose that's because I'm working now, having picked up a few garden jobs.  ...I'm not sure how I'm finding the energy for everything, but so far, I am.  It will be a fruitful season....  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment