Got the gardening bug?

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

The Love of Roses

The Love of Roses

If there is something most people know about me, it's that I love flowers.  Come to my home, and you'll see garden beds, hanging baskets, and window boxes full of colorful petals.  Look closer, and you'll see that roses are at the heart of them all.
 
 
Come inside my home, you'll see roses on plates, platters, tea cups, potpourri, books, and more.  I love everything about this amazing flower, and if you take the time to explore them with me, you'll understand why I chose them to be my signature flower, both personally as well as for my business.
 
Roses are amazing and we can start with the obvious reasons: Their beautiful looks and fragrance.  From the single petaled beauties, like wild roses and Rosa xanthine to the full double flowers of tea and damask roses, each rose has a history of beauty that is unsurpassed in the botanical realm. 
The rose has been favored by perfumists all around the world and the range of aromatic notes from species to species is just as broad as their amazing color. 
To say the least, even in the most common ways we see the rose, it's variety of beauty is overwhelming. 
You may look at the rose and think it's nothing more than an over rated garden flower, packed with thorns and is a beast to keep alive... but...  did you know that the rose is essentially, an herb? 
 
It's true.  Roses take the crown in not only beautiful garden flowers, but also, the world of herbalism.
 
 
Rose petals are packed with color, fragrance, vitamin C, and amazing healing properties that are so beneficial to both your overall beauty and your health.  Not only are roses top rated for perfume making, but also for skin care, shampoos, soaps, and more!  (It's good to note here, that when using roses medicinally, it's important to use specific species and not random hybrids.)
History:  In the 1st Century, over 30 medicinal uses for the rose were recorded.
Medieval gardens grew hundreds of roses for medicinal purpose and food more so than for beauty
Native Americans of differing tribes all knew several rose remedies for various ailments, from burns to antidepressants, to gastro intestinal problems.
Roses have been used for muscular pain, diseases of the eyes, as well as blood tonics, skin tightening, beautifying, and anti-inflammatories. 
Roses contain over 300 chemical constituents in their flowers, hips, bark, roots, and essential oil... and only about 100 have been identified.
The vast amount of medicinal and cosmetic power the rose has to offer is staggering.
Here are a few easy things you can do with rose petals (Be sure they have not been sprayed nor fed fertilizers, avoid florist roses!)
 
Make a rose petal tea and use it as a gargle to help a sore throat
 
Essential oil in a cream will dramatically help dry skin
 
Use as a natural perfume
 
A tea of petals and hips can help with painful menstruation
 
I could go on and on about all the rose has to offer.  I love how they feel on my skin when I make creams from rose water, or mix a rose and witch hazel tincture together to cleanse my face. 
 
 
There is no other ingredient I enjoy working with more than the rose, and you may see me mentioning it quite often, because the more I make with this delightful flower, the more I continue to want to create with it.  The scent, the feel, the wonderful cleansing, it all offers little captivating roles to my daily beauty routine that I can pick out and thoroughly enjoy and appreciate.
Nothing pampers my skin, mind, and soul quite like roses do.
You can find my rose products on my website
I'll always be adding to it and offering several styles of the products you see available there now. 
I hope this helped you gain some appreciation for roses, and if you already loved them, I hope reading this helped you to love them more! 
 
 
Check back here often for more!  I'll be sharing recipes, how to's and much much more!
You can also come join my herbal group on Facebook!  The Herbal Conservatory!
 
Thanks for reading!!!  :)
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment