Got the gardening bug?

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Spring is here!

April is finally here, well, technically, it is half over, and the weather has been rather playful.  We've had a few nice warm sunny days, but certainly not enough of them.  Between the few rays of sunshine, we've had clouds, rain, sleet, hail, snow, wind, thunder, and lightning.  The switch in seasonal gears is here and the movement of cold and warm air mix and swirl, causing unpredictable weather.
Weather such as this is to be expected this time of year, but when you are a gardener at heart, it can feel terribly depressing.  Getting outside between the bad spells helps chase away the blues.
That's why I keep a cheery collection of crocuses growing right off the front of my porch.  They are the first show of color in the yard and perk up before anything else has even thought of waking from hibernation.
I also plant pansies this time of year.  They are able to survive the frosts and help give me that much needed feeling of putting something new and pretty into the ground.




This is also when I finally reopen the greenhouse.  This photo is from last year.  The greenhouse was new to me and a learning project.  The seeds did very well.  Germinating, sprouting, growing and being transplanted into the ground.  Gardening in this way offers a wonderful sense of achievement for me.  The money I save on store bought plants, watching my own little babies grow and thrive, and watching them return the following spring fills me with pride and joy.
So, as I was saying, yes, the GH is open again for the season.  The seeds are planted, many are growing and some are still awaiting the warmer nights.  Right now, my plans are to redo this little garden around the GH.  I have already ripped out most of the sod you see here in this photo and started to lay in my planned brick path.  Photos of the project will be up soon.
I ventured in the yard briefly today, but the wind is ferocious.  I had enough time to see that the forsythia is getting ready to bloom.  The branches are covered with the little yellow buds.  This is a happy sign for me!  Flowering forsythias mean that the cold spells will soon end!  I'm anxious for long days in the gardens, smelling flowers, pinching herbs, and picking fresh vegetables.  Yes....it will be here soon.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting a pic of your Green house. I wish I had one but I am happy to have a cold frame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nat! LOVE your greenhouse, how big is it? Looks bigger then my 6 X 8 ghetto GH and sure is a lot prettier. My forsythias are in bloom as are my bulbs. Haven’t been out much, can’t stand the cold winds. Just wont stop. We haven’t had any precipitation for about a week but we are still having hard freezes most nights. Took a tour of the garden today, I think I’ve lost most of my roses. :(
    Looking forward to your posts and pictures. Happy Easter!
    Blessings Bernie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies! Bernie, my GH is about 8X16, I believe. Not huge, and gets filled in quickly, but I really do enjoy having it. Eventually, I want to be able to have one that's heated all year long.
    Give your roses some time .... they may surprise you. I hope you didn't lose them, that's sad.
    Happy Easter!!!

    ReplyDelete