Got the gardening bug?

Friday, June 24, 2011

Floral Arts

Art and Flowers ... aren't they both a large part of who I am?
I think so, yes. 
I love to draw, have done it my entire life .... lots of it lately? ... not really .... but I do try my hand at a lot of different types of art, even try my hand at selling it.  Unfortunately, I'm not a good salesperson and find it hard to push turning my own creativity into a few bucks...but I do try. 
I want my art to be appreciated, enjoyed and bought because someone thought it was lovely....but I suppose that's what all artists want and if it were that easy, there'd be no starving artists.... to coin the phrase.
No, my art has never earned me a glorious living, but I do enjoy it and readily have it open to sell.
I love to arrange flowers, and have made potpourri for a few years now.... have lots of recipes, actually.... so why not offer it out to sell as well?  Not sure if people would buy it or not....but IT IS natural, organic, made from my own gardens and hands.....  something more unique than the synthetic varieties that you find in places like Walmart.  Synthetic?  Aren't they made will real flowers? ... yes.... but the oils are nothing but synthetic fragrance oils and not good for you, especially if you have allergies.  I use essential oils.... pure, natural plant based scented oils that retain their medicinal values.  Expensive? ...you bet ... but I've used essential oils for many things, including my handmade soaps, and never have the allergic reactions to them that I do with synthetics....among the other benefits.
So there it is....I'm making and selling organic natural potpourri as well as offering floral arrangements from my garden.  (the potpourri is shown above.)  The price is $15 for 2 heaping cups, and it is made from old english roses, peonies, lavender, daisies, violets and possible other flowers thrown in...spiced with cinnamon and cloves and kissed with lavender and jasmine essential oils.  It really smells awesome and lasts a long time...and besides, it's made by ME.  ....  (see?? ... NOT a good salesperson, that is really what you get when it comes to talking myself up....) ...but my stuff?? .... I believe in quality VS quantity and to me quality is natural and pure, good to the environment, and lasts a long time.  I put that into my costs, into my myself, and into my work ....  that IS the only sales pitch I can give you.
To the left is an arrangement of lilacs and crab apple blossoms ... pretty and smells soooo nice!  Obviously, I can only do this one in early spring while my trees are blooming away.  I pick them with closed buds remaining on the stems to allow longer blooming.
$35.00 with a vase
in season orders only...you may order a year in advance.... that's how it works.  :)  Several orders at once earns you a discount!
Organic!

This arrangement I created on my own.  It contains a dark blue bearded iris stem, 2 peonies, a dozen daisies, 3 chives flowers and a long stem of canterbury bells.  They rest on a csacading cloud of baby's breath and are backed by 5 green hosta leaves.
This arrangement costs $80.00 with a vase or you can supply your own.
Canterbury bells are biennial, hard to find, and only bloom the second year, making them a costly flower for an arrangement.  I start my bells by seed and wait 2 years for the blooms.
Organic!


I do have more of them and I also have a few books of floral arrangements, from bouquets like these, to large mantel pieces that would cost hundreds of dollars.  Given the materials are all available, I can do them. 
I'm also considering getting my florist license ....  I think I'd love it and already have a lot of experience with the flowers.
At any rate, if anyone out there is interested in any of my art/flowers, etc.... you can contact me at natwlsn@hotmail.com
I'm professional, eager to please my customers, and easy to work with...just tell me what you're looking for.  If I can't do it, I'll help you find someone who can.



   

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nat!
    Good luck selling your arrangements and potpourri! I LOVE that container! It’s gorgeous! Have you tried selling on esty? Until Jim got sick I always had potpourri in the house. Made it from my garden and gave it as gifts. Now Everything has to be unscented, even essential oils bother him. I miss it. I still bring in some flowers from the garden but I‘m very careful. No lilacs that for sure.

    Hope you have a very Happy Birthday and all your dreams come true.
    Blessings Bernie

    ReplyDelete