Got the gardening bug?

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Roses ~ A much needed list

Ok, so the one perfect flower that I DID find to be better than an iris is of course, the rose.  Not to be too common, but roses are my favorite flower....pretty much any rose.  I just love them, but particularly the hybrid tea roses.  Now tell me .... can you find a more perfect flower?? 
Pictured above is one of my brand new ones, "Sterling Silver".  This is a gorgeous hybrid tea!  Big round blooms, lots of flowers on one stem, beautiful lavender coloring, and to top it all off.... an incredible old english rose fragrance!  I'm utterly in love!

So yes, roses make me swoon. 
And I have lots of them.

Not as many as I'd like.... but for the most part, I do have a good collection going.  I like to mix them into my gardens, but eventually, I'm going to make a seperate bed for just some tea roses as well.
Queen Elizabeth (Grandiflora)
This year, I've planted, I think, 9 new rose varieties.  What I really wanted to do on this post is write down a lits of the names of them all, just so I have them written somewhere...  I'd hate to forget them all, and there are some that I already do not know....which I hate. 

Since most of my roses are just getting ready to bloom, some of these pictures are from last year, but I am planning on adding lots of fresh rose photos as they come.  There will be lots to share, and I'm always eager to post them.... but for now, I really just need to add my personal list for keepsake reasons. 
Climbers: A Shropshire Lad, Blaze, Joseph's Coat, NOID yellow
Tea Roses: Nearly Black, Double Delight, Sterling Silver, Gold Glow, Queen Elizabeth (grandiflora),  Cuthbert Grant (shrub rose),
Knockouts and Carpet Roses: "Amber", Red Double Knockout (several), Pink Double Knockout, pink carpet rose
Several mini roses ~ noids
Floribunda: Several "wild type" pink, one time bloomer
Wild type single roses: "Nearly Wild, and one noid white with yellow eye. 
Several wild roses, one time bloomers


...more to come soon....

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nat! Your garden is lovely! Love your bird bath and you beautiful irises.
    Your roses are stunning! My garden looks dreadful this year. We have had absurd winds. Although the plants are okay most my flowers are wind damaged. Due to the early Nov.sudden hard freeze I lost my Don Juan climber and a few tea roses. Those that survived are beginning to bloom but none are very vigorous.

    I can never remember the names of my roses so ten years ago I started labeling them. I cut aluminum cans into circles. I embossed each with a ball point pen. The ink doesn’t last long but the embossing is as clear as the day I wrote it. I punch a hole in the aluminum with a nail and with a twist tie loosely attach them to the plant. Each is labeled with the name and type of rose and the date I plant them. If you do this please take care. It’s easy to cut the aluminum with a pair of scissors but the edges are incredibility sharp. I rub all the edges on cement until they are very dull. No fun reaching for a week and getting cut by a label. HTH.
    Blessings Bernie

    ReplyDelete